The Flu Shot – The Solution.
What is the Flu Vaccination Shot and its purpose ?
The Flu Vaccination is a vaccine that protects against influenza viruses. It works by introducing a small amount of weakened or dead flu virus into your body, which triggers your immune system to produce antibodies that will protect you from future infections.
The purpose of having the vaccination is to protect against the three or four influenza viruses that research suggests may the most common during the upcoming flu season. It will prevent and reduce the severity of illness if you do get sick.
- Annual vaccination is the most important measure to prevent influenza
- It is recommended for all people >6 months of age
- For adults aged >65 years, both the adjuvanted (Fluad® Quad) and high dose influenza vaccine (Fluzone® High-Dose Quadrivalent) are preferentially recommended over standard influenza vaccine.
- If a person had a 2022 influenza vaccine in late 2022 or early 2023, they are still recommended to receive a 2023 formulation of influenza vaccine from March 2023.
There is More than ONE Type of Vaccine….
- Flucelvax® Quad is a cell-based influenza vaccine registered for use in adults and children from 2 years of age, but it is not currently funded on the NIP.
- Fluad® Quad is available and NIP founded for people aged >65 years.
- Fluzone® High-Dose Quadrivalent is available for people aged >60 years but is not NIP founded.
- Vaxigrip Tetra® and Fluarix Tetra® for eligible people aged 6 months to 64 years
- Afluria® Quad for eligible people aged 5 years to 64 years
It’s the time of the season where influenza is running high.
That’s right, it’s Flu Season. Get a Flu Shot today and make a difference.
Getting the flu vaccine is the most effective way to reduce the risk of getting the flu and reducing the spread of influenza within the community. It is important to get your flu vaccine in April and May, before the start of the June to September flu season. By getting your flu vaccination you’re not just protecting yourself, you’re also protecting vulnerable people who are too sick, too young such as babies less than six months old and those who have low immunity.
Call Today to Book for a Flu Vaccine or Book Online.
Flu Shot/Vaccine 2023
What is the Flu?
The Influenza (flu) is a contagious illness of the respiratory tract caused by influenza viruses which cause severe illness and life-threatening complications. It is spread by contact with respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
The difference between a cold
and the flu.
Even though colds and flus are both caused by viruses, and some of the symptoms are similar, Colds are only a mild symptom which does not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalisations, whereas the Flu does the complete opposite. The Flu is a serious disease as it can cause serious complications that can lead to the following conditions:
- Ear infections
- Heart and other organ damage
- Brain inflammation and brain damage
The signs and symptoms of the Flu.
Flu Symptoms usually start about 1 to 3 days and can last for a week or more.
The most common symptoms of the flu include:
- Runny nose or sneezing
- Cough or sore throat
- Fever and chills
- Body aches
- Vomiting and diarrhoea (more common in children).
How to relieve Flu symptoms?
In most cases, mild flu symptoms can be treated yourself. In most cases, people will get better by themselves within 7 to 10 days and without any treatment.
Here are some remedies that are helpful in relieving flu symptoms:
- Getting plenty of rest
- Drinking plenty of water and other non-alcoholic fluids to prevent dehydration
- Keeping warm
- Eating a healthy diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables
- Avoiding exposure to cigarette smoke if possible
- Inhaling steam from a hot bath or shower in a closed room to help relieve a blocked nose – remember to always directly supervise children near hot water
- Several medicines available to ease cold and flu symptoms, such as pain and fever.
IMPORTANT: Before you attend your appointment at Infinity Health Medical Centre Green Square, please make sure to get tested for COVID-19 immediately, even if your symptoms are the flu or mild. It is our duty of care to look after all the patients and the Doctors in the medical centre.